Full-Time Advancement Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a Christian faith based agency that provides relief, development peacebuilding initiatives in over 60 countries. MCC BC carries out local programs that address poverty here in BC and also supports the international work of MCC by generating funds, personnel, and material aid. MCC BC has an operating budget of $10 million with approximately 75 staff and over 3,000 volunteers who serve in thrift shops, relief sales, material aid activities, local programs, fundraising and other areas. MCC BC also has 5 subsidiaries enterprises that operate local programs and hold donated legacy investments.
The Advancement Director is the chief marketing officer that provides leadership to donor relations, communications and the general advancement of MCC BC toward its mission by collaboratively developing and implementing strategies that generate awareness, relationships, engagement, support and various types of donations from within our constituency and the broader public. The Advancement Director ensures that activities are focused on approved strategic priorities and are in compliance with standard legal and ethical requirements as well as MCC values, principles and policies.
The Advancement Director is a resource for marketing all areas of the organization and helps cultivate an appropriate marketing culture and expertise in others, and proactively seeks out synergies between the various activities of MCC, and finds new opportunities to market and advance the mission of MCC in our constituency and the broader public. Direct fundraising efforts include fostering relations with over 6,000 donors with an annual goal of raising over $2.5 million in regular giving plus disaster response and special campaigns. Relief Sales are supported by over 1,200 volunteers with the goal of raising $600,000 net. Material aid engages 800 volunteers with an annual goal of mobilizing $500,000 in donated items. Communications engages the public as well as over 150 member churches with 25,000 adherents.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to a personal Christian faith, active church membership and nonviolent peacemaking.
• Bachelor Degree in a related field such as business administration is preferred, a related graduate degree is desired.
• 5 years of experience in fundraising and communications or related experience in marketing, sales, public relations, and other promotional activity
• 3 years experience in a management role, preferably as Director of Development, or at a senior level in a related field
• Awareness of best practices in fundraising and communications and the ability to translate principles into effective fundraising activities.
• Expertise in a variety of fundraising methods including direct mail, monthly donor programs, donor acquisition, major donors, special events, planned giving, and innovation in fundraising
• Understanding and support of the vision, purpose, beliefs and values of MCC
• Ability to learn about the context and content of domestic and international program and present it in a clear and compelling manner.
• Solid understanding of the Biblical call to respond to human need, the Anabaptist commitment to peace and justice, and the ability to articulate it persuasively.
• Familiarity with the MCC constituency and the ability to network and build relations with constituent donors
• Strong communications skills as public speaker, good writing skills for reports and stories, and a humble listener of those being engaged.
• Effective strategic planner, pro-active problem solver, flexible and open to change
• Entrepreneurial attitude and a creative innovator at a practical level that adds value
• Excellent inter-personal skills in a collaborative and diverse team environment where leadership is most effective through collegial influence rather than formal authority.
• Appreciation and commitment to fostering equity/diversity in the workplace
• Approachable, humble, patient, open to criticism, good sense of humour
• Comfortable learning and using a variety of standard software programs
• Satisfactory criminal record check for a leadership position relating to a broad public
For a full job description, please visit our website:
How to ApplyOnly those candidates who are legally eligible to work in Canada should apply. Please send resume and cover letter to the MCC BC HR Department by email: email@example.com or by fax 604-850-8734. First set of interviews will be held after August 31, 2014. Applications will be received until a suitable candidate is identified.
260 total views, 2 today