Full-time Community Minister
ICYA is seeking a Community Minister who will serve women in Winnipeg’s North End Community.
The Community Minister is part of a Community Ministry Team within Inner City Youth Alive (ICYA), a Christian, faith based organization working in Winnipeg’s North End.
The Community Ministry team is unique since it is not formally connected to any specific ICYA program. This structure allows for flexibility in weekly scheduling in order to be available as needs arise within the North End community. Community Ministers act in cooperation with the other ICYA ministries and find ways to engage or support the existing programming that is already in place. This Community Ministry role specifically focuses on connecting with young women in the community.
A philosophy of development and not relief should guide the direction of the Community Ministry Team; while also meeting the “felt needs” in the community. The long-term direction of Community Ministry is to become a mobilizer of community action, meaning roles could shift over time.
It is strongly recommended (although not required) that the Community Minister live in the neighborhood. This position is best served by someone with a high level of theological or ministry-related education and/or relevant experience.
The Community Minister will:
- Focus on a ministry of presence and intentional friendship, providing relationship based support and spiritual care.
- Build relationships with youth and families in the North End with a focus on young women.
- Be involved in intentional mentorship with female youth and young women, and/or small women’s groups in the North End as well as with those who are incarcerated; for the purpose of evangelism, discipleship, and developing leaders.
- Follow up with youth in tangible ways in order to share the love of Christ with them. (i.e. advocacy in legal issues, recreational connections, counsel in relational difficulties, etc.)
- Build bridges and foster mutual relationships between the larger church community and the inner city. This may occur through taking speaking engagements in supporting churches or hosting group’s onsite at ICYA.
- Work in cooperation with churches, schools, social service agencies, and police departments in the community. They will connect and/or work with associations or organizations that share common goals for the community (i.e. William Whyte Resident’s Association, North End Community Renewal Corporation, etc.)
- Respect and connect with existing community leadership structures or individuals that are influential in the community.
- Take leadership in conducting community consultation, both in formal and informal ways. This consultation may guide future endeavors of ICYA, or may be used as a catalyst for mobilizing community action.
- Use a holistic approach that seeks to balance the meeting of physical needs, spiritual care, and sharing of the message of hope through Jesus, by seeking to see people reconciled to God, to each other, and the community around them.
- Train, encourage, and empower local Christian leaders.
- Operate within the Lifestyle and Morality Standards of ICYA.
- Maintain a vibrant spiritual life and to seek to grow in their personal relationship with Jesus Christ through the reading of the scriptures, prayer, and personal discipleship.
- Allow time for the spiritual disciplines in their life. Quarterly retreat times for the purpose of prayer, fasting, and quiet reflection are encouraged. A personal mentor or accountability group is recommended as support in their ministry.
- Raise and maintain their own support in accordance to the salary scale of ICYA and keep ongoing contact with supporters through prayer letters and personal contact.
- Seek out training opportunities that will better equip them for ministry.
- Meet regularly with the Community Ministry Team for support, accountability, and sharing of ideas and resources.
- Meet regularly with the ICYA Director of Programming for the purpose of evaluation, supervision, and prayer.
How to ApplyEmail your questions / resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
198 total views, 2 today