Full-Time Driver / Receiver
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Vancouver Thrift Shop is actively engaged in receiving and selling used clothing, small appliances, housewares, books, toys, some furniture and collectibles with all proceeds designated to support the relief and development work of Mennonite Central Committee. This particular assignment involves providing assistance in the pick-up and delivery of store items, in-take sorting, and customer service, all in a manner that is efficient and fostering Christian respect for customers, staff and volunteers.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position and reports to the Vancouver Thrift Shop Manager. Assignment involves working Tuesdays through Saturdays.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship;
active church membership; and biblical nonviolent peacemaking.
MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
1. Minimum High School Diploma
2. Valid driver’s license, accompanied by an excellent driving record.
3. Ability to drive a one-tonne truck.
4. Ability to navigate the city using maps.
5. Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 50 lbs).
6. Comfortable working outdoors in various weather conditions.
7. Retail experience and interest is an asset.
8. Excellent interpersonal skills, willing and able to work & relate with a diverse group of people; friendly, outgoing and appreciative of both volunteers and customers.
9. Good organizational skills and ability to maintain a tidy work area.
10. Ability to communicate fluently in English.
11. Willingness and ability to work with one’s hands.
12. Basic handi-man and basic furniture repair skills an asset.
13. Ability to practice flexibility and work collaboratively as a team.
14. Demonstrate an Anabaptist value of service
15. Heart for social justice, peacemaking and global understanding.
16. Self-motivated, able to work independently and willing to take initiative, as required.
17. Commitment to wearing steel-toed boots and proper work gloves.
18. Satisfactory criminal record clearance.
1. Deliver and pick-up furniture throughout the Vancouver area.
2. Ensure that furniture and appliances picked up are in good condition for sale in the shop.
3. Ensure that furniture and appliances are delivered to customers in good condition, with delivery being handled in a professional and polite manner.
4. Driving one-tonne truck, as needed, in a professional and safe manner.
5. Ensure that the truck is kept clean.
6. Assist customers with loading purchases into vehicles and on the sales floor in a respectful and friendly manner.
7. Confirm schedule pick-ups and deliveries.
8. Assist in receiving donations, sorting and recycling and organization of the back room.
9. Responsible for moving sold furniture out and new furniture onto the floor.
10. Wear steel-toed boots and proper gloves while working in shipping/receiving area.
11. Abide by WHIMIS standards within all job responsibilities.
12. Articulate the mission/purpose of MCC to customers/donors, as required.
13. Model nonviolent peacemaking in the work place, in the community and the church.
14. Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ’s unconditional love to those we serve, including the staff and volunteers, the customers and the local community.
15. Participate in biblically based morning devotions/prayer.
16. Participate in planned MCC trainings and attend staff meetings, as required.
17. Perform other duties, as required.
The position requires working in a comfortable but fast-paced retail shop / shipping & receiving environment and requires spending a significant portion of time on one’s feet. This position also involves working outside in various weather conditions for significant periods of, unloading and loading furniture. This position further requires the ability to constantly respond “positively” to the demands/requests from customers/donors. From time to time there is also the need to deal with drug-addicted and/or street-involved persons.
This position involves the constant handling of used goods and lifting/moving of objects of up to 50 lbs; significant amounts of heavy lifting of furniture are included in this role. Steel toed boots and work gloves are required.
How to ApplyOnly those candidates who are legally eligible to work in Canada and who meet the qualifications should apply. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Sophie Tiessen-Eigbike, PO Box 2038; 31414 Marshall Road, Abbotsford, BC V2T 3T8, email to: s or fax to: 604-850-8734. Applications will be received until July 27, 2014.
232 total views, 1 today