Part-time Associate Editor
The associate editor is responsible to assist with all aspects of the production of the bi-weekly newspaper, the Mennonitische Post, under the direction and supervision of the managing editor. This includes tasks such as typesetting. writing, translating, editing, proofreading, and layout. The associate editor works in close collaboration with the managing editor, assuming responsibility for some aspects of the paper under the direction of the managing editor. Flexibility and the capacity for collaboration and teamwork are key characteristics in this role.
• Minimum High School Diploma, relevant university education would be an asset.
• 1+ years of previous office experience and ability to work in an open office environment
• Proven bilingual competency in German and English (written and oral). Should also understand and speak Low German
• Basic computer literacy (e.g., Windows, Word and Excel)
• Demonstrated organizational skills and competence in detail work
• Flexibility, willingness to help where and when needed
• Ability to take initiative and assume responsibility, sometimes with little supervision, and to follow through reliably and consistently
• Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines
• Knowledge of publishing and design software (InDesign, Photoshop) an asset
• Maintaining a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ’s unconditional love to those we serve, including the staff and volunteers, the customers and the local community and active in a Christian community
This position is supervised by the Managing editor of the Post, and takes some direction from the office manager. The associate Editor works closely with Mennonitische Post store staff, and associates with colleagues within MCC Canada. External contacts may include MCC international workers in countries where the Mennonitische Post is distributed, and local contacts in those countries who help with distribution, and are sources for news from their area.
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
• An understanding of the complex world of Low German Mennonites, and the capacity to see beyond the surface stereotypes.
• The capacity and desire for ongoing learning.
• Ability to break down complex concepts into understandable pieces for all audiences. The capacity to write in a simple and readable style for an audience of low-German speaking Mennonites, many of whom have access to only the often-limited education in the colonies.
• The flexibility to work collaboratively within a small team to do what needs to be done which may occasionally be outside the specifics of the job description.
Initiative and Ingenuity:
• The creativity to continually produce, select, and adapt material to the needs of a very specific audience with specific limitations and needs.
• A demonstrated commitment to continued professional growth and development.
• Professional written and oral skills with the ability to be persuasive and critical, complimentary and encouraging, objective and helpful.
• Excellent listening skills and the intuitive ability to read and understand co-workers and the MCC audience.
• The identification of and ability to nurture creativity to benefit the organization.
• The job requires the capacity to deal with the stress of constantly working under the pressure of deadlines. When one deadline is met, there is another one on the immediate horizon.
• The associate editor is expected to collaborate closely on the bi-weekly (or three weeks) production of a high-quality newspaper for the very specific audience of the Low German Mennonites across the Americas.
How to Applyhttps://mcccanada.ca/get-involved/serve/openings/associate-editor
72 total views, 1 today