Full-time House Parent Couple
Inner Hope is a diverse and welcoming community made up of East Vancouver youth and families, and a dynamic team of staff and volunteers who are passionate about long-term relationships. We are seeking a dynamic couple to fill the role of House Parents for Inner Hope’s housing program. This is a live-in ministry opportunity for a married couple who are called to a full-life integration approach to ministry with at-risk youth. If you are passionate about inner-city missions, if your values inspire you to walk alongside a vulnerable population, you will thrive in this role!
Our House Parents reside in The Home and foster a family-style environment for up to four residents aged 16-24, managing daily house life and building meaningful relationships with youth and their families. The Home is designed for long-term growth in residents, and we ask House Parents to commit to at least two years in their role.
Youth who apply to live in The Home are seeking structure, support, and accountability in their lives, ideally over a long-term stay. In a substance-free environment shaped by Christian values, the House Parent couple models a healthy relationship and offers residents love, support, and discipleship. It can also be a second home and safe haven for past residents, friends, and family; House Parents nurture this sense of belonging through special events each year.
Responsible to: Director of Programs (Diana Squires)
Start date: Negotiable (approx Aug 2019)
- Live in The Home
- The Primary House Parent must be committed and available to the home and its residents on a full-time basis; the Secondary House Parent is employed with Inner Hope half-time and may accept other employment or schooling with consideration for how it will impact the role. Both House Parents must be committed to parenting and engaging in home life.
- 2 evenings off per week. 1 weekend or 1 week off per month (alternating months).
- $2500 / month
- Room & Board (90% non-taxable)
- $800 / month respite renewal allowance (taxable income)
- Group Benefits Plan (couple coverage for health and life insurance)
- Cell phone
- Opportunities for mentorship, support, and professional development
- Supportive of Inner Hope Youth Ministries (IHYM) Statement of Faith
- Adherence to IHYM’s Vision, Mission and Values
- Willingness to adhere to IHYM’s Code of Ethics and all staff policies
- Minimum two years of college or university
- Minimum two years of experience working or volunteering with youth, including some experience with inner city youth
- Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Character, reliability, maturity, and skill level to relate positively with youth and families at risk, and model responsible behaviour
- Acceptable current criminal record check
- Married couple age 25+ (House Parents must be older than residents)
- Knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal community is an asset
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle (work-related mileage is reimbursed)
- Cultural humility
- Compassionate teacher and motivator
- Patient and self-controlled
- Healthy boundaries in life and relationships
- Identifies needs and takes initiative
- Collaborative, team player
- Enjoys being around people the majority of the time
- Open and authentic; able to live with limited privacy in a community setting
- Able to organize, prioritize, and multi-task
- Assertive and gentle, able to manage conflict in a coaching and reconciliation-focused manner
Detailed Job Descriptions: www.innerhope.ca/houseparents
How to ApplyInterviews are being scheduled as applications are received. Apply now! Send cover letter and resume to the attention of Diana Squires at email@example.com.
146 total views, 2 today