The Writer will work collaboratively with the Director of Communications & Marketing to implement an integrated communications strategy on behalf of the university. This individual will serve as a key departmental resource for stories, profiles, and news releases to capture CMU’s vision and multiple personal and programmatic opportunities, with a particular focus on strengthening both alumni engagement and student recruitment. In this regard, the ideal candidate has strong linkages with CMU and its alumni network.
This .6 position (3 days/week) is a 12 month term, and will report to the CMU Communications & Marketing Director.
- Imagine, solicit, and write stories that capture the vision, life, and impact of CMU with a focus on strengthening and supporting alumni relations and student recruitment. Communicate these stories, in print, web, and social media formats.
- Take the lead in working with faculty and staff to write renewed, recruitment focused, web content for academic and other programs.
- Research and write news releases, copy write for marketing as assigned, prepare advertorial text for media distribution, conduct research, and write stories for CMU publications.
- Contribute story ideas, prepare and distribute stories that speak to the transformative nature of education at CMU, writing about current students, alumni, faculty, and program initiatives which engage and impact CMU’s diverse constituencies and the broader community. Writing to support alumni relations will receive particular emphasis, though assignments may also be focused on student recruitment.
- Write stories and assist in editing tasks, as assigned by the Director, for The Blazer and the university’s Media Centre.
- Attend CMU community events as required to provide story coverage (sometimes occurs outside of regular office hours).
- Serve as a key content generator for the Communications & Marketing Department. Produce communications content to enrich media.cmu.ca, in consultation with the Director.
- Monitor and systematically update content for CMU’s online web presence, including university and scholarship-linked contracted search sites.
- Take and/or obtain photographs suitable for use with published stories and assist with photo uploads, access, and archive processes
- Assist with text proofing and editing
- Assume other duties from time to time as strategic emphasis evolves and as assigned by the Director
The Writer will attend:
- the Communication & Marketing Department’s staff meetings
- strategic overview meetings with faculty and other CMU Departments, when asked by the Director
- University degree or Technical College Degree in Journalism, Communications, or Marketing or equivalent professional training and experience
- Excellent written communications skills and excellent computer skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Commitment to CMU and its mission and programs and an understanding of core constituencies surrounding CMU
- Awareness of, and connections within, CMU’s alumni network an asset
- Strong social media experience and capacity to effectively utilize social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) is an asset
Preference will be given to candidates who are graduates of CMU or have demonstrated connections to the University and its constituency
Information about Canadian Mennonite University can be found at www.cmu.ca.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted in confidence either electronically to email@example.com or by paper mail addressed to Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources, Canadian Mennonite University, 500 Shaftesbury Blvd., Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3P 2N2.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. CMU is committed to employment equity.
177 total views, 5 today